Sunday, November 14, 2010

Week 10 (11/7/2010 - 11/13/2010)

 This was certainly a very unique week (heh, that rhymes); not only was it shortened because of Mid-Program Review, but we critiqued our second shell drawings and drew feet for the first time!

I'm going to admit right off the bat that I'm not as happy with Shell 2 as I was with Shell 1. That was also the general consensus among those in my critique group, though not to my extent of distaste. Although they weren't as awed by Shell 2 as they were with Shell 1, most of them still really liked it. One of the main issues, I felt, lies with my use of dark lines; it worked perfectly in Shell 1 to create a sense of depth, but there's just too much darkness concentrated into one area on Shell 2. Everyone else thinks it works fine, but I still get the sense that I overkilled it. I do like the top-most area of the operculum (the shell's interior), I guess, because of an innate sense of realism I get every time I look at that exact spot. All in all, Shell 2 looks decent enough,  but I know I can do better. Guess I'll have to not rush the next one like I did this one...

After the critiques, we had an extensive lecture on the bone structure of human feet before actually sitting down/standing up and making our first attempts at drawing them. On a side note, this marked the first day that Katharina posed for our class without disrobing. That didn't make things any easier, though; feet and hands are my personal nemeses when it comes to drawing people, and I could feel the old frustrations coming back as I laid charcoal to paper. Surprisingly enough, though, I did pretty well, especially in spite of the facts that she didn't change the positioning of her feet once and that, therein, I only had view of a single good foot to draw. I craved variety like you couldn't believe, but it was this very limitation that forced me to focus on the details and actually create a pleasing product.


1 comment:

  1. I really like the very bottom foot in the top drawing, the contours are very descriptive and you did a good job capturing shape and movement!

    ReplyDelete